Minnesota Book Publishers Roundtable’s virtual panel discussion on the secrets and surprises of the publishing industry. Seasoned professionals share what they wish they’d known early in their careers and offer insider tips for success.
1517 Media is a multimedia company composed of five vital, creative imprints: Beaming Books, Fortress Press, Broadleaf Books, Augsburg Fortress, and Sparkhouse. We create resources for spiritual growth and development, for Christian worship and faith formation, and for academic study and professional development. 1517 Media strives to create an environment of inclusiveness, equity, and respect for all regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, nation of origin, race, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Individuals who are committed to contributing meaningfully to diversity and inclusion in publishing are encouraged to apply, including members of groups historically underrepresented in publishing (which is – according to industry research – a traditionally white, straight, cisgender, and nondisabled field).
The Minnesota Book Publishers Roundtable September (in-person) event included an enlightening panel discussion with insights from industry trailblazers Emilie Buchwald, Dana Buchwald, Karen Pavlicin, and Crown Shepherd, all of whom… Read More →
Summary: Manage publishing program for Jewish interest books for children from toddler through middle grade
This position is based out of our downtown Minneapolis headquarters, with the possibility of hybrid
Duties and Responsibilities:
Editorial and Design
1. Review and acquire manuscripts
2. Complete P&L analysis for all new/proposed acquisitions
3. Manage author relationships; work with authors on manuscripts
4. Negotiate contracts with authors and illustrators and initiate all contracts and payments
5. Create art profiles for design and meet seasonally with design team to discuss
6. Collaborate with Design team to select illustrators
7. Collaborate with Editorial to edit and style manuscripts for composition.
8. Collaborate with Design to art direct
9. Create photo reference documents (required for any story with Jewish ritual or history
10. Oversee annual creation of Kar-Ben’s Jewish calendars including sales, marketing and production
11. Review sales results and recommend monthly reprint and seasonal first print quantities