Click any job posting for more details.
1517 Media is a multimedia company composed of five vital, creative imprints: Beaming Books, Fortress Press, Broadleaf Books, Augsburg Fortress, and Sparkhouse. We create resources for spiritual growth and development, for Christian worship and faith formation, and for academic study and professional development. 1517 Media strives to create an environment of inclusiveness, equity, and respect for all regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, nation of origin, race, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Individuals who are committed to contributing meaningfully to diversity and inclusion in publishing are encouraged to apply, including members of groups historically underrepresented in publishing (which is – according to industry research – a traditionally white, straight, cisgender, and nondisabled field).
The book publishing imprints of 1517 Media include:
Broadleaf Books, publisher of books on religion, culture, social justice, spirituality, and personal growth that inspire transformation in readers and their communities to foster a more open, just, and compassionate world.
Beaming Books, publisher of high-quality children’s books that help kids thrive emotionally, socially, and spiritually.
Fortress Press, publisher of scholarship that matters for the academy, for the classroom, and for the church across the categories of theology, biblical studies, history, religion, and ministry.
Marketing and Publicity Specialist, 1517 Media Books (Hybrid Work Model)
The Marketing and Publicity Specialist, 1517 Media Books, assists in executing strategic marketing and publicity campaigns for 1517 Media’s three book imprints, Broadleaf Books, Beaming Books, and Fortress Press with a special focus on our children’s titles. The Marketing and Publicity Specialist reports to the Publicity Director for 1517 Media Books and is a member of the dynamic and highly collaborative marketing and sales team.
This position will be part of our hybrid work model and requires the employee to reside in the Twin Cities and work onsite at our corporate office in Minneapolis 2+ days a week.
The Marketing and Publicity Specialist holds key responsibilities in the following areas:
Beaming Books publicity campaign execution, under the strategic leadership of the Publicity Director
- Conduct monthly industry, media, and influencer pitches of Beaming titles to secure book coverage.
- Manage the Beaming Books Influencer program, including communicating with influencers and coordinating book distribution.
- Write and assemble press kits and coordinate review copy mailings.
- Communicate with authors about the marketing and PR plans for their books.
- Brief and distribute Beaming authors assets (bookmarks, flyers, book plates) seasonally.
- Guides authors on events and works with sales team to ensure books are available at events.
Beaming Books marketing campaign execution, under the strategic leadership of the Marketing Director
- Project manage campaigns using project management tools.
- Craft emails, social posts, and ad copy from direction by and in collaboration with the marketing lead.
- Plan and execute social targeting.
- Buy lists when/if needed.
- Place ads and digital promotions.
- Track results and share data.
Cross-imprint administrative support
- Ensure all PR mailings are executed in a timely fashion by sales and service team.
- Develop and distribute publicity week in review for internal and external contacts.
- Assist with annual awards strategy.
- Occasionally attend and represent 1517 Media Books at key conferences and events.
- As the number of Beaming Books titles published each season varies, the Marketing and Publicity Specialist may be assigned other duties.
- Actively uphold the ethical standards and behaviors expected by 1517 Media.
Desired education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field.
- Experience in book trade and/or consumer publishing or related media fields is critical.
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for books.
- Familiarity with religion and religious life.
Please include your resume, cover letter, and references with your application.
1517 Media offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including vacation for new employees, sick time, health, retirement, a pre-tax transportation program, paid parental leave and no-cost gym access in the building. You will join a collaborative and creative hybrid work environment, with a talented group of 80 individuals who have a passion for their work. The corporate headquarters is located in the North Loop, Minneapolis with adjacent access to Light Rail and Metro Transit bus lines.
Summary: Manage publishing program for Jewish interest books for children from toddler through middle grade
This position is based out of our downtown Minneapolis headquarters, with the possibility of hybrid
Duties and Responsibilities:
Editorial and Design
- Review and acquire manuscripts
- Complete P&L analysis for all new/proposed acquisitions
- Manage author relationships; work with authors on manuscripts
- Negotiate contracts with authors and illustrators and initiate all contracts and payments
- Create art profiles for design and meet seasonally with design team to discuss
- Collaborate with Design team to select illustrators
- Collaborate with Editorial to edit and style manuscripts for composition.
- Collaborate with Design to art direct
- Create photo reference documents (required for any story with Jewish ritual or history
- Oversee annual creation of Kar-Ben’s Jewish calendars including sales, marketing and production
- Review sales results and recommend monthly reprint and seasonal first print quantities
Sales and Marketing
- Manage critical relationships with key partners including PJ Library
- Create preliminary notes for annual Kar-Ben Fall Trade and Educator Catalogues, working with marketing for both Trade and Educational catalogues and review all sets of proofs
- Oversee Kar-Ben’s annual marketing calendar for print pieces, including due dates for catalogues, Passover and Hanukkah mailers, sell sheets, Fall and Spring one-pagers for trade reps, etc.
- Create and pitch materials for Publishers Weeklyeditorial calls for information, creatively finding ways to get Kar-Ben into the editorial parts of Jewish and trade publications
- Review back cover copy, press releases, author bios, other communications
- Decide on and oversee creation of advertising for Publishers Weekly, the Jewish Book Council, the Association of Jewish Libraries
- Present Kar-Ben titles at launch meetings, trade sales conferences, etc.
- Oversee Kar-Ben’s Seasonal Book Box Subscription program
- Develop new sales and marketing initiatives
- Work with customer service and Kar-Ben marketing manager to ensure that customer database information is current
- Manage Kar-Ben special sales projects
- Ensure that key buyers are informed of publicity, marketing, and advertising activity
- Monitor, analyze and track sales activities.
- Collaborate with Digital Products Manager to contract with voice talent agency and technology company for Kar-Ben book audio, including pricing, voice voices, and creating pronunciation guides
- Create and regularly review Kar-Ben budgets
- Select publication dates each season
- Analyze competition and work with Sales to determine book pricing
- Manage staff
- Oversee the running and marketing of Kar-Ben’s website at karben.com
- Act as spokesperson, representing Kar-Ben in the Jewish kid literature sphere; present at programs, conferences, and participate in interviews and articles
Experience and Skills: Proven organizational and communication skills, at least five years’ experience in the book industry, and the ability to prioritize projects and daily tasks to meet long-term and short-term goals and deadlines. Excellent editorial and presentation skills. Computer experience including Microsoft Word and Excel. Some travel required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree minimum
The job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
It is the policy of Lerner Publishing Group to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, mental or physical disability, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance, or any other class protected under applicable law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please send resumes or any general employment inquires to:
Lerner Publishing Group, Inc.
241 First Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE