Click any job posting for more details.
The University of Minnesota Press seeks a detail-oriented and organized individual to join the business office team in a fast-paced book publishing office.
The Accounting Generalist provides financial, accounting, and administrative support to all UPress staff, and works with the OVPR Finance Cluster to process all payables, receivables, and maintain supplier information. The ideal candidate will have outstanding accuracy, attention to detail, and excellent communication and time-management skills. Knowledge of Excel, Google Sheets, and experience working with databases preferred, especially FileMaker Pro. They will be able to work collaboratively and independently.
→ This position will be required to work in the UPress office in Minneapolis at least two days per week.
→ The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $57,000, dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
25% Accounts Payable Processes
Responsible for accounts payable activities, including creating requisitions, purchase orders, contracts for professional services, coding invoices for payment, and entering journal entries per University and UPress policies and standards. Interpret University policy/EFS requirements for U Press staff. Act as backup for creating and processing monthly sales rep commission reports and payments.
25% Accounts Receivable Processes
Billing Specialist for the UPress, including creating invoices for customers, claiming payments, and depositing checks according to University compliance policies. Deposit cash and process credit card transactions according to University compliance policies, ensuring security of funds received. Reconcile exhibit/conference orders, deposit cash received, reconcile credit card transactions, and send orders to our distributor for fulfillment. Invoice the University of Minnesota Foundation for use of gifts and donations according to University policies.
Receive and reconcile reports from business partners; claim payments in EFS; enter data or upload reports into UPress databases and systems. Monitor trends in data, report anomalies and make recommendations based on trends.
25% Financial Reporting and Other Processes
Reconciles UPress employee Purchasing Card reports. Processes UMarket orders. Act as back up for calculating the unit cost of all books published, as well as for all reprints; enter data in distributor’s systems as part of releasing books for distribution.
Coordinate month-end and year-end processes. Responsible for preparing, balancing, and adjusting all financial statements monthly, including operating statements, balance sheet, accrual budget statement, cash budget statement, inventory reconciliation statement, and subledgers. Monitor trends in data, report anomalies and make recommendations based on trends. Expected outcome is reliable financial reporting, on time and accurate reports, and sound system of internal assurances and controls.
10% Contracts and Royalties
Maintains an accounting of subsidiary rights, permissions, and ebook transactions to calculate earnings and deductions; works closely with our royalties coordinator to ensure accurate and timely posting of royalties, create reports, and create and upload payment spreadsheets into the University’s enterprise financial system. Assist with annual royalties process.
Work with Associate Director to create annual budget documents; enter annual budget into EFS.
5% Supervise Student Accounting Assistant
Hire, train, and supervise student employee for the Business Office.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
Works on ad hoc financial assignments and financial reporting and analysis as requested by Associate Director. Complete necessary training as assigned. Use required forms and procedures.
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) and the UPress endorses a “work with flexibility” approach that offers a welcoming and flexible work environment where everyone is inspired to do their best. Work location options include working fully remote, partially remote, or entirely in the office and are based on the work of the position. Some on-site work may be necessary for certain positions, even those designated as fully remote. Because we are a land-grant institution that serves the state, the University will continue to- in most cases- expect employees to live in Minnesota.
This position has been designated as flexible work profile three.
Flexible work profile three is expected to work remotely more than 50% of the time. Your dedicated office space will be in your remote work location. UPress management retains the right to modify flexible work arrangement agreements on a temporary or permanent basis for any reason at any time.
→ This position will be required to work in the UPress office in Minneapolis at least two days per week.
- BA/BS degree or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years.
- Accounting or bookkeeping experience
- Experience with spreadsheets and databases
- Working knowledge and experience using EFS at the University of Minnesota
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy
- Timeliness in performing work and attention to deadlines
- Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess an understanding of administrative systems, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrates an understanding of publishing business operations or possesses the equivalent professional experience in supporting the business operations of an equivalent size in a non-university organization such as non-profit, corporate, or government.
- Possesses keen business judgment and insight.
- Demonstrates broad knowledge and perspective and is future oriented.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply analytical and logical thinking to gathering and analyzing information.
- Makes valid and reliable evaluation of information.
- Proposes and evaluates alternative solutions to achieve organizational goals.
- Capable of analyzing large volume of data and summarizing results.
Problem Solving Skills
- Analyzes the impact of potential actions.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Anticipates the implications and consequences of situations and takes appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
About the Department
The University of Minnesota Press is recognized internationally for its innovative, boundary-breaking editorial program in the humanities and social sciences and as publisher of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), the most widely used objective tests of personality in the world. Minnesota also maintains as part of its mission a strong commitment to publishing books on the people, history, and natural environment of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. Established in 1925, Minnesota is among the founding members of the Association of University Presses (AUP).
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
University of Minnesota Press
Location: Minneapolis, MN
The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) Press is a leading publisher of the history and culture of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. The press advances research, supports education, and serves local communities through the publication of books and e-products. MNHS Press focuses on the categories of history and politics, Native American studies, race and ethnic studies, arts and culture, true crime, food and cooking, nature and environment, and kids picture books.
The Marketing and Publicity Manager position at MNHS Press exists to oversee and set the strategic direction of the press’s marketing, sales, and publicity activity. The Marketing and Publicity Manager leads the Sales and Marketing team by setting goals, developing marketing and sales initiatives, overseeing publicity and promotional activities, and supervising the sales and marketing staff in order to drive the publicity and sales of MNHS Press books and products.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Develop and execute marketing strategies for MNHS Press; 2) Generate publicity for MNHS Press titles; 3) Plan and execute book launches and author events; 4) Serve as the main author contact leading up to and following each book’s release; 5) Assist with and advise on publishing decisions; 6) Manage the sales and marketing budget; 7) Oversee staff on other key marketing activities; and 8) Supervise sales and marketing staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Seven years of book publishing experience.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of all areas of book marketing.
- Familiarity with media at the local and national levels.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, prioritize, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take individual initiative while also being able to collaborate effectively and contribute positively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to think imaginatively and problem-solve.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and Google suite.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.
- Knowledge of current publishing industry practices and trends.
- Experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience with event planning and promotion.
- Experience developing and implementing innovative and forward-thinking marketing and promotional activities, especially in a digital landscape.
- Knowledge of social media tools and strategies.
- Facility with data and databases.
The full position description is available here: