Click any job posting for more details.
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented Acquiring Editor to join the team in our Boston North Shore office! This position will be responsible for acquiring and developing 15-20 titles a year in the areas of healthy eating, general cooking, health, fitness, self-help, lifestyle, and parenting. The Senior Acquiring Editor works closely with the publisher, editorial director, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators and designers to define, develop, and execute the books from concept through publishing strategy. S/he will support the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that considers current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products. Are you the right person for the job? Creative energy, self-motivation, passion and a sense of humor are essential. Come join our team!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Develop 15-20 books and ancillary products annually.
- Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to propose at regular acquisitions meetings.
- Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
- Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
- Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development
- Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Evaluate authors’ manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author’s expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, book descriptions.
- Throughout the life of the book or product, act as content “expert” and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
- Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the marketing and sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or related discipline
- 5-7 years of experience in acquisitions or content development
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Displays diplomacy and good judgment
- Experience in developing content related to art, design, and creative pursuits.
- Familiarity with social networking and subject related blogs
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title: Sales Coordinator
Supervisor: Sales Administration Manager
Summary: Responsible for supporting all sales efforts with a focus on direct sales and trade sales.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support national trade book sales force.
2. Work with Marketing to create seasonal trade catalog on Edelweiss.
3. Responsible for LPS client product images and reviews, PDFs and other seasonal tasks, in conjunction with supervisor.
4. Assist supervisor with Amazon sales and inventory analysis and reporting.
5. Provide direct support and assistance to the sales staff per supervisor’s direction.
6. Process requests and maintain records of product samples, review copies, catalogs, cover images and other supplemental materials for all sales reps (school/library, trade, etc.).
7. Complete and file required paperwork for vendor applications, title adoptions, regional bids, and various other contractual opportunities.
8. Support school and library sales reps by completing quotations, title correlations, specialized lists, and other sales related projects.
9. Fulfill requests and maintain record of school and library rep sales expenses, including exhibit charges.
10. Distribute sales leads (including, but not limited to, grant announcements, new school openings, and digital trial recipients) to the appropriate members of the school and library sales force.
11. Compiling seasonal school and library rep materials.
12. Assist with customer inquiries, competitive analysis and sell sheet acquisition.
13. Maintain seasonal cover images and distribute to wholesalers/distributors and other customers as requested for customers who do not receive an ONIX feed.
14. Assist with periodic updates to and maintenance of internal data management system.
15. Manage title submission and maintain ongoing records for leveling organizations such as Accelerated Reader, Lexile, Fountas & Pinnell, etc.
16. Organize and maintain department’s library with the assistance of interns when available.
17. Perform other related business duties assigned by immediate supervisor and/or other management as required.
Experience and Necessary Skills: Proven organizational skills, a strong interest in children’s book publishing, and the ability to prioritize projects and daily tasks to meet long-term and short-term deadlines. Must be detail oriented and adept at handling multiple projects. Minimum of one-year computer experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. The duties and responsibilities for this position have been analyzed. On that basis, this position has been determined to be non-exempt.
CONTACT: Human Resources, LERNER PUBLISHING GROUP, 241 First Ave. North, Minneapolis, MN 55401 Phone: (612)332-3344 Fax: (612)204-9208 Email: email@example.com
Lerner Publishing Group
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Seeking an individual who brings ideas and something different, who isn’t a cog, and can help enlarge what we do as a design studio. Design/Marketing projects focused on illustrada marketing, internal asset development, and/or assist on client projects. Part-time, depending on availability and interests. What you don’t know about the production side of publishing, you’ll have a chance to learn.
Compensation: Hourly, based on experience. Credits, too, if desired. Seasonal (?) internship, open to traditional and nontraditional students and experience-based applicants.
illustrada is the design studio of enigmatic artist/designer Paul Nylander. Built on the pillars of curiosity, consideration, and commitment, illustrada is focused on creating beautiful books with intelligent, passionate people who have things that need saying — a story to tell, a question to ask, or a point to make. Whether it takes the form of a business report or a children’s book, poetry or prose, nonfiction or novel, at illustrada — named for the Latin origin of illustrate, meaning to explain — the goal is to create something we can all be proud of…and might just change the world.
To be considered for this position, please reach out with your portfolio, resume, and a brief statement about your interests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXILE PRESS is a Minneapolis based, small publisher of award-winning books and apps in ESL, Korean language and culture, Children’s Early Readers, Graphic Novels & Poetry. Founded in 2006, we’re dedicated to what we can learn from beyond borders, to culture in communication and to what we may discover in the microcosm of word’s art, the complex beauty of the English language and the cultural diaspora of the global village. Our books are about inspiring an adventurous spirit in others and joining them on their journey. Our specialties include language acquisition, travel journals, philosophy, art books, and poetry. Our scope is global and beyond. Welcome to the World. Its message is simple — seek truth. Children’s literature is handled by our imprint Little Bear Books (Visit Teddy and the gang at littlebearbooks.com) political satire by Hungry Dictator Press (see more at hungrydictator.com) and Passion Poets (Erotic Poetry of Sexual Empowerment at passionpoets.org).
SOCIAL MEDIA/PUBLICIST, SALES/PROMOTIONS, WEB DESIGNER/DEVELOPER and GRAPHIC DESIGNER internships are available: 10–20 hours/week, minimum 240-hour 3–6 month commitment.
Interns will receive a small stipend offered upon successful completion of the internship with potential for work/study credit.
Please send a cover letter, specifying the internship for which you are applying, and a resume to Peter Liptak at email@example.com.
Exile Press LLC